Zombie Meatloaf with Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1 small white onion – for the zombie's eyes, nose, and teeth
- 4 slices of red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound bacon strips
- Set EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 325˚ F / 165˚C. Cover a cutting board with parchment paper.
- Combine ground beef and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Slice 2 round sides, about 1/2-inch-thick, off the second onion for the zombie’s eyes. Cut a 1-inch-wide section off the remaining onion and dice it into chunks to form zombie teeth and a nose.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the cutting board covered with parchment paper.
- Shape meatloaf into a zombie skull shape. Form indents to represent the eyes, nose, and mouth. Drape bacon over the face, covering most of the meatloaf. Add onion eyes and teeth. Tuck loose ends of bacon under the sides with a spatula.
- 1 12-ounce can of chunky tomatoes
- ¼ cup Big Green Egg Kentucky Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Big Green Egg Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce – to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and combine.
- Add meatloaf to the cast iron skillet and cook for about 40 minutes. Remove from EGG and spoon chunky tomato sauce around the edges. Cook another 15 minutes or so until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160˚ F / 70˚C.
Mummy Hot Dogs
- 1 can of crescent rolls
- 1 package of beef or turkey hotdogs
- Candy zombie eyes
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 375˚F / 190˚C. Place baking stone on grate to heat through.
- Open the crescent roll package and unroll the dough so that it is a horizontal rectangle. Press on the perforations to seal them together. Cut the dough into long, thin strips.
- Wrap the pieces of dough around each hot dog, criss-crossing as you go to create “bandages” by stretching the dough slightly and letting it overlap. Leave some of the hotdog showing through so it looks like a mummy.
- Place each wrapped hot dog on a baking stone and then bake until the dough is golden brown and hot dogs are warmed through. Remove from EGG and place a small dot of ketchup or mustard on the back of your candy eyes and add 2 eyes to each mummy dog.
Creepy Meatball Eyeballs
- 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey
- Olive oil
- ½ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5-6 white mushrooms cut in half
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Black olives sliced
- Squeeze bottle
- 1 jar of prepared spaghetti sauce
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350˚F/177˚C
- Add all ingredients except the black olives, ketchup, and spaghetti sauce in a bowl and combine. Mix well and form into golf ball-sized meatballs. Add plancha with a drizzle of olive oil to the EGG to preheat. Add meatballs and cook until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Mushroom skulls: Take each mushroom and poke a hole with a straw for the eyes. Using a small paring knife, cut slits for the nose and teeth on the stem.
- Using a spoon, remove the meatballs from the plancha and drain the excess oil. Add spaghetti sauce to plancha to cover the bottom. Place meatballs on top of the sauce, add mushroom skulls, drizzle with shredded cheese, and top with a black olive slice. Place back on the EGG and heat until tomato sauce bubbles, the cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 160˚F / 71˚C. Remove from heat and squeeze ketchup on each meatball for the “creepy” effect.
Spooky Mushroom Skull Pizza
- 2-4 small prepared flatbread pizza rounds
- 1 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 package of white and portobello mushrooms, washed and dried
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 425°F/218°C.
- On each pizza round, spread the prepared pizza sauce, and top with sliced red bell peppers and skull mushrooms. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Place pizzas on screen and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms begin to shrivel.
- Move the pizza around with the pizza peel to keep them from burning on the bottom. Remove from heat and serve!