Roasted Upside Down Chili
It is National Chili Day and this is the ONLY recipe you should be trying. If you have made upside down chili now is the day! If you love it, give us a thumbs up. If you don't, then give Pat Sullivan a thumbs down (:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 cup Big Green Egg Vidalia Onion Sriracha Barbecue Sauce
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs coarse ground beef, formed into a large patty
- 2 15-oz can of dark kidney beans, drained
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 350°F/177°C.
- Add a Dutch oven (uncovered) to the grid. Add the oil, then add the onion and green pepper and cook until soft. Add the garlic and jalapenos and cook a few more minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, barbecue sauce, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar and pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the Dutch oven and the cooking grid, and then add a couple small chunks of apple wood. Add an EGGspander with a convEGGtor for indirect tiered cooking. Place the Dutch oven on the bottom grid and continue cooking.
- Season the ground beef patty with salt and pepper, and then place the ground beef patty on the top sliding grid, centered over the Dutch oven so that the meat drips into the chili. Cook for 1½ hours, adjusting the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Remove the meat to a sheet pan. Add the beans to the chili and add more water if needed. Break the meat up with tongs and place it in the pot. Cook for another 30 minutes until everything is well blended and slightly thickened.